I have several hopes for this service learning project. I will be working with a Cuban family and I hope to learn more about their culture, the food they eat, the traditional clothing of their country, how they communicate, etc. This experience will help me connect the knowledge we are learning in the classroom to every day life, due to several daily interactions with those from other cultural backgrounds. I really want to be able to help the family as much as possible so they are more knowledgable about living in our country and feel more comfortable tackling every day life in America. I will teach them as much as I can and I can't wait to see their improvements week to week.
I assume that World Relief in general is very helpful and makes sure the families are prepared for our arrivals. They wouldn't put us with a family who didn't want our help. I assume that the families we will be working with may not live in the nicest living arrangement, but are very excited to be getting help from an American citizen who can help them make a better life for their selves day to day. Also, the family may feel uncomfortable at first, however I expect to see a significant change from day one to the last in regards to their comfort levels.
I assume that most of the population World Relief serves are going to be very unfamiliar with several items in relation to the American culture. I expect that their English is not going to be good at all and will require significant work. In addition, the families will be unfamiliar with what may seem common to a person raised in America, versus someone who spent time in a refugee camp with limited supplies and food. I expect that sometimes it will be difficult and frustrating to get across something, but I know that the family and I will get through things one step at a time. The people we are working with came from nothing, and spent time in refugee camps. It will be a major culture shock but I know I can help the family I am working with get through this difficult time and I will help them become the best that they can be during my time working with them!
I am very glad that I am paired with a Cuban family as I am fluent in Spanish and will be able to teach the English language with guidance from the Spanish language. I can describe things in Spanish if they do not understand what I am trying to explain to them in English. I love learning about different cultures and places in which the Spanish language is spoken. I hope to travel to Cuba some day and other Spanish speaking countries to help improve my Spanish speaking skills and to explore the different cultures. Also, I am very excited to work with two little ones this semester, because I love working with kids. Since I was a little girl I have always dreamed of having a big family and I have always loved to play with kids younger than myself. I love working with kids and I hope to incorporate working with kids in some way in my future career. Lastly, I love being able to teach other people. I would love to teach at least one college level class in my future once I get my MBA.
No comments:
Post a Comment