Thursday, February 27, 2014

Entry 5: Crazy Kiddos

My time at Luke and I's third service interaction with the Cuban family was very interesting to say the least.  I discovered that in the bathroom the family was reusing disposable diapers that Maykol uses (the 4 year old).  I found this to be pretty gross in all honesty.  I advised Kelly so that she could look into this, however this may be due to the fact that their is a lack of money to buy diapers at this time.  I assumed it also may be due to the fact that they may have done the same in Cuba and see no difference doing the same thing in America.  

In addition, Maykol secretly took one of my markers we were coloring with and colored his whole hand blue!  Oops!  He took it with him in the bathroom and then we were wondering why he was in there for so long.  He had colored his hand, and then was trying really hard to get it off so we wouldn't know.  Unfortunately he was unsuccessful, and the marker was going to take more time to get off with the help of his mom!  I learned, you must guard all supplies with your life, because Maykol will without a doubt find a way to use it in a mischievous way!

Furthermore, Felix, the 9 year old boy acted crazy during this last visit!  He discovered the idea of video recordings on my iPhone.  He thought it was the coolest thing ever!  He loved seeing and hearing himself on the video and the whole family was laughing and having a good time watching Felix be funny!  The boys would definitely put to use an iPad.  If I had the money and resources I would definitely buy the boys an iPad.  They love it and it is a great educational tool, especially as a way for them to practice their English!  

The experience I have had thus far has helped me learn how to better communicate with others from other cultures.  I noticed you need to be really patient and listen closely to the words they are saying.  There was a point in time the other night that I got really confused when trying to interpret what the father was saying.  The family and I were discussing iPad's because the family wants to save up for one for the boys.  While we were talking the father brought up if we would like bread with mayonnaise on it.  I knew what he was saying, but in the context of the situation I made myself confused, because I was focused so much on the other conversation.  Eventually I understood what he was trying to say, just due to the deep conversation we were having, my thoughts and interpretation of the Spanish language seemed to have disappeared for a few moments!

Also tonight I helped the mother, Katia, with understanding an article that was in the newspaper on Omega 3.  Katia has been trying really hard to read in English, although her skills are at an extremely low level at this point.  She focuses on key words that are similar in English and Spanish and looks at the pictures for now.  It is a great start and slowly she will begin to pick up what the articles are trying to say.  

During this service learning adventure thus far, I have learned that one must be patient, open to new ideas and circumstances, and to always keep an eye on the kiddos.  I plan on watching Maykol more carefully next time as he loves to get into trouble and make a mess!  Also, I will continue to bring my iPad as the kids thrive and learn exceptionally on the iPad.  So far I have had a great experience and I truly love the family I have been paired with!

No comments:

Post a Comment